Now that it’s officially spring, there’s no more putting off spring cleaning. But, we’ve got some interesting (and might we even say fun?) tips for your spring cleaning this year.
1. One of the germiest items in your home is your kitchen sponge. Is it reasonable to have to toss it every time it gets dirty? No, and that’s not doing the environment any favors either. So what’s the solution? Just wet the sponge and pop it in the microwave on high for one minute, and voila! You’ve got a clean sponge.
2. Does your kitchen still smell like last night’s oven-baked salmon? Get out your favorite simmering pot and simmer a pot of water with some cinnamon and baking soda. You can even get creative with your scents. I’ve simmered a little lemon, vanilla and rosemary in water on the stove and it smells like summer and sunshine in a pot! Just remember to add a little baking soda as well.
3. Speaking of stinky kitchens, the main culprit is usually the trash can. Sprinkle a few teaspoons of the cinnamon and baking soda in the bottom of the trash can to absorb any unwanted odor. And let’s face it, any odor coming from the trash can is an unwanted odor…
4. For a little preventative care, try this. As you’re boxing up your sweaters and turtle-necks for the winter, add a few cedar chips to keep away that musty smell when you open the box again next fall.
5. Lastly, if you’ve ever used silver polish, you know how strong smelling the stuff can be. Make your own eco-friendly polish with a paste of banana peels and water. You get beautifully polished silver without the chemicals or dried out fingertips!