The tulips are budding and the birds are singing . That can only indicate one thing: It’s Spring. And time for spring cleaning! The ideal source for understanding how get your house prepared for spring is the Clean Team’s best seller, Spring Cleaning. But for the abridged version, here are the 8 crucial tasks to take you from dark and dusty to sparkly and new this spring.
- Clean and/or replace filters If your furnace filters aren’t removing dust due to the fact they are dirty and old, guess where all that dust is going: Right back into your home. When you are busy changing your filter, make sure you fully dust and vacuum in and around your heater . Our versatile microfiber duster and ostrich feather dusters are perfect tools to make dusting a cinch – just swipe the area and the microfiber grabs the dust.
- Scrub your windows – and window treatments – Now that the sun is shining more brightly, it’s a lot more challenging to ignore the dirt, rain, snow and fingerprints that have wreaked havoc on our window pains all winter long. Make your window cleaning job less difficult by investing in the appropriate tools, including our cotton cleaning cloths for a streak-free, lint-free finish .
- Clean your walls and ceilings – This is a huge job, but it’s a lot less complicated and less costly than repainting! Save yourself time and steps by working from the ceiling down, first vacuuming with the brush attachment on your vacuum. Avoid streaking by drying the walls as you go with lint-free cleaning cloths. If your walls feature wood paneling, you will appreciate washing them with our Sh-mop – that long telescoping handle makes reaching to the ceiling easy . Don’t forget to clean your light switches and outlet covers. These seem to be magnets for grime – and germs.
- Move it, move it – the furniture that is! You don’t have to move the sofa , dresser and dining room table every time you clean the floors, but once or twice a year is a definite must. Bear in mind, this is deep cleaning. The Sh-mop is excellent for tackling tile, ceramic and wood or laminate surfaces. (When using your Sh-mop on wood floors, bear in mind the sh-wipe should be just barely wet.) Now is also a excellent time to contemplate having your carpets professionally cleaned – or leasing a steam cleaner and doing it yourself. If you have wood floors, you may want to consider having them resealed this spring.
- Vacuum and flip your mattresses – Once you are finished with your floors, it’s time to carry your vacuum into the bedrooms and power clean those mattresses. Suck up any dust – and dust mites – to help avoid allergies and lengthen the life of your mattress. Unless you have a new no-flip mattress, this is also an ideal time to flip and turn your mattress. Do it twice a year, with the clock change, so you don’t have to ponder when you last did it.
- Wipe down the inside of kitchen cupboards and drawers – It’s remarkable how much dust and food debris can end up within those cupboards and drawers – after all, we are (theoretically, at least) storing clean dishes and silverware in them! Even so, spring is a great season for removing everything and thoroughly wiping down the areas. Don’t forget your cabinet faces and hardware. If you can find a friend to aid you to clear away the things while you quickly spray, wipe and dry the cabinets, you will be finished before you know it! If you’re working by yourself, strap on one of our cleaning aprons – that way all your instruments will be right where you need to have them. No more wasting time climbing up and down the step ladder to get more cleaning spray, paper towel or sponges!
- Deep clean the freezer – If you have a manual defrost freezer, this is the excellent time to unplug it and let that ice melt away. Once it’s completely defrosted, clean out any crumbs and scrub any food-born spots before returning the contents. You may also want to set in a little dish of baking soda to soak up any lingering odors.
- Refresh the Refrigerator – Once you are done with your freezer, it’s time to tackle the fridge. Take anything out, throw away bad or questionable items, and wash all shelves and drawers with lukewarm, soapy water. While you’re at it, don’t forget to scrub your refrigerator, too. By eradicating that dust and debris, you are prolonging the life of your fridge and saving yourself some dough . A clean coil signifies a more effective refrigerator – certainly a bonus. Once these eight tasks are accomplished, it’s time to pour yourself a tall glass of water and take pleasure in some of that sunshine! Happy Spring!